Cal Poly

Transfer Students

Students enrolled in MS degree programs in FPE or related fields at other institutions may seek to transfer to the FPE program at Cal Poly. As noted in the Cal Poly catalog, no fewer than 32 quarter units of a 45-unit program shall be completed in residence at Cal Poly. This means that up to 13 quarter units can be transferred from other institutions. A course taught "in residence" is normally a catalog offering or approved experimental course taught by a Cal Poly faculty member.

Extension courses may not be used to fulfill the residency requirement. However, summer session courses, and up to 12 units taken as a non-matriculated student, can be counted as courses in residence. Petitioned graduate courses taken at Cal Poly as an undergraduate count as taken in residence. Courses for which students received credit by examination may be petitioned to count as taken in residence. In general, this means that credit for up to 3 courses can be transferred from other institutions or from Open University. The Graduate Coordinator of the FPE program is responsible for determining the acceptability of transfer credits.

If you reside outside of California and are considering taking online courses, please read State Authorization for Distance Education.

Back to top

© 2015 California Polytechnic State University Fire Protection Engineering
Cal Poly College of Engineering
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Phone: 805-756-1306