FPE Science Certificate
The educational objective of the Fire Protection Engineering Science graduate certificate program is to provide students with the knowledge, skills, and tools needed to solve fire protection engineering problems and develop fire safety design solutions in a variety of professional settings. Upon completing the requirements for the graduate certificate, students should be able to:
- Apply concepts associated with the thermal sciences, including thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer, to the analysis of fire protection engineering problems.
- Analyze the flammability characteristics of different materials, interpret the results of standard and non-standard fire test methods, and evaluate the fire hazards associated with different materials in a range of anticipated settings.
- Analyze the dynamics of fires in and around buildings and other structures through the application of fundamental principles and the use of state-of-the-art computer-based fire simulation models.
- FPE S501 Fundamental Thermal Sciences
- FPE S502 Fire Dynamics
- FPE S503 Flammability Assessment methods
- FPE S504 Fire Modeling