General Policies

  • Upon registration, an enrollment confrmation will be emailed to you. You may request an additional confirmation by contacting our office.

  • Extended Education reserves the right to cancel, reschedule, or combine courses, to alter and discontinue curricula, and to change instructors.

    Because Extended Education receives no state tax support, programs and courses may be canceled at the first scheduled class if fewer than the required minimum number of students enroll. If a course is canceled or rescheduled, you may request a refund. Transfers can only be made for courses of equal or lesser value, unless the difference is paid by the student.

  • State law requires that Extended Education, as an entity of the California State University system, must be self-supported. Taxpayer-generated funds do not provide support to Extended Education. Course requirements determine the fee for each credit or non-credit course. Course fees are subject to change.
    Please note: In the event that you need to withdraw from a course or Extended Education cancels a course, please see “Course Withdrawal and Refund” below.

    Without exception, students are required to pay all outstanding debt before registering for an upcoming term. Students who receive a financial aid refund (loans, grants and/or scholarships) are advised to confirm that all charges to date have been paid in full.

    Extended Education reserves the right, even after initial fee payment is made, to increase or modify any listed fees, without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular quarter, intersession and/or class has begun.

  • If Extended Education cancels a course for which you have paid fees, you will receive a full refund.

    To drop an academic credit course, you must officially withdraw (see below for specific details). Non-attendance, stopping payment on a check or payment voucher, or simply informing the instructor, does not constitute an official withdrawal. Stopping payment will result in a financial obligation to the university in the amount of the original check plus a $35 charge. Failure to withdraw officially in writing could result in a failing grade or non-eligibility for a refund.

    Documentation and approval needed to withdraw from class:

    • Academic Credit Classes: Before the first class meeting date, a written request is required (email, fax or U.S. mail). Instructor approval not required. On or after the date of the first class meeting, Petition To Withdraw Form is required and must include the instructor's signature.

    Refer to the refund schedule below.

    8 - 10 Week Courses Prior to the first day of class

    Before the end of the third week of instruction

    After the third week of instruction
    100% reversal of fees

    65% reversal of fees

    5 - 7 Week Courses Prior to the first day of class

    Before the end of the second week of instruction

    After the second week of instruction
    100% reversal of fees

    65% reversal of fees

    3- 4 Week Courses Prior to the first day of class

    Before the end of the first week of instruction

    After the first week of instruction
    100% reversal of fees

    65% reversal of fees

    Less than 3 Week Courses Prior to the first day of class

    On or after the first day of instruction
    100% reversal of fees

  • Course numbers 100-599 represent credit courses at Cal Poly. Credit courses quantify and measure the learning or proficiency of the individual attending the course. Testing and grading are required along with specified hours of instruction. Ten hours of lecture is equal to one-quarter unit of instruction, twenty hours of activity is equal to one-quarter unit of credit and thirty hours of lab work is equal to one-quarter unit of credit. Cal Poly Extended Education will record all Credit quarter units and grades in the campus Student Information System and you may request a Cal Poly transcript.

  • Pursuant to the United States Department of Education's Program Integrity Rule, each institution of higher education is required to provide all prospective and current students with the contact information for the state agency or agencies that handle complaints against postsecondary education institutions offering distance learning within that state. Students are encouraged to utilize California State University's internal complaint or review policies and procedures prior to filing a complaint with a state agency. For a copy of the CSU internal complaints process, visit CSU Policies. Should the student wish to file a complaint in their home state please select the state contact from the Consumer Protection State Contacts List to file a complaint directly in their state.

  • If you have permanent or temporary disabilities, the Cal Poly Disability Resource Center can provide assistance to you during your participation in Extended Education courses. Contact the Disability Resource Center at (805) 756-1395 (voice or TDD).

  • For further information about distance learning policies, please visit the Extended Education State Authorization Page.

  • Cal Poly is an equal opportunity/affirmative action university and is committed to the principles and practices outlined in applicable federal, state and California State University policies. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, or mental or physical disability in any of its employment practices or educational programs. Cal Poly protects the rights of its students and employees to learn and work in a nurturing atmosphere free from sexual harassment, racial harassment or any other acts that would create a hostile campus environment.
    For more information visit the Title IX Office of Equal Opportunity Page.

  • The grading system used by the California State University system applies to Extended Education academic credit courses. Grades are available the Wednesday after finals week by going to your Cal Poly Portal.

  • Extended Education exercises great care in selecting knowledgeable and competent instructors. We make no guarantees, expressed or implied, that classroom instruction will result in specific gain. We cannot be held responsible for any loss, material or otherwise, incurred while following an instructor's directions. Extended Education is not responsible for any personal property left behind. Students take courses at their own risk.

    Extended Education is not responsible for typographical or pictorial errors on our website or in any printed material that we may distribute. We reserve the right to correct all printed/web errors. Any typographical error related to any course or policy listed on our webpage will be corrected in the applicable area. Extended Education reserves the right, even after initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fees, without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular quarter, intersession and/or class has begun.

  • When you register for a program, we collect personal and business information such as name, mailing and e-mail addresses, telephone number, gender, age, birthdate, and credit card information for payment purposes.

    The information we collect is used solely for university purposes such as maintaining accurate student records and keeping you informed about university programs and services. This information may only be released to a court or government agency if required by law.

  • When you register for Extended Education FPE classes, charges will appear in your student account at the time of enrollment. It is your responsibility to log into your student portal to make payment by the due date(s). See the full instructions for paying fees on the Paying Extended Ed Fees Page.

  • If you are enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program or are taking courses to acquire or improve job skills, you may qualify for a Hope Scholarship or Lifetime Learning Tax Credit. The Hope Scholarship tax credit is available only to students in their first two years of post-secondary education, who are enrolled at least half-time in an eligible program. The Lifetime Learning tax credit is available to students at all educational enrollment levels who are enrolled in an eligible educational institution. Consult IRS Publication 970 or your tax preparer for more information.

    To apply for the tax credit, you must report the amount of tuition and fees paid as well as the amount of certain scholarships, grants, and untaxed income used to pay the tuition and fees. Cal Poly will send you a 1098T form with 1) the name, address, and taxpayer ID number of the school; 2) the name, address and taxpayer ID of the student for whom tuition was paid; 3) whether the student was enrolled at least half-time; and 4) whether the student was only in a graduate-level program, by January 31, for each tax year. Use this information and your own records to complete the IRS Form 8863 and claim a tax credit. If you have questions, talk to a tax advisor for help. If you do not receive a 1098T form, you can learn more inforation at Student Accounts.

  • The university uses student information to identify records pertaining to the student. Be prepared to provide your birth date and other information as documentation for your student records. A unique ID will be assigned to your records when you are added to the database. Contact our office if you need assistance to access your ID information.